Sunday, February 21, 2010

Downtown Bangalore--Weekend 1 part III









So on Sunday, two of the guys in Matte Painting, Prasad and Yash, were going out to shoot photos. I asked if I could come along. They had started a photography club at work. This days shoot was on theme of rust. I met them at the Lal Bagh park (so twice now I visited). My driver, Mohan, had a hard time finding which gate Prasad meant. We waited at wrong gate for awhile till Prasad called and said, "where are you?". It's hard relying on a driver and also trying to explain subtle things, but I guess I will get used to it all. I also feel bad because what happens is he picks me up and drops me off wherever I need to go, but he ends up waiting somewhere in car nearby till I need him again. How it works is he is booked for 1/2 day or all day and since traffic is too crazy he can't easily leave the area, nor come back quickly if does so. This is a little uncomfortable but the other Americans (expats as they call them) say you will get used to it, it's just how it works here. So we were joined with another India Dreamworks guy, Vimal, and his wife. We went around shooting photos and reference (I won't bore you with reference photos). It was great being shown around by the guys since they've been here for 6 mos to a year now. Afterwards Prasad, Yash and myself went for lunch at a place near work. We tried unsuccessfully eating at two other restaurants but since the time was between normal breakfast and lunch hours we had to keep trying different options. We ate an indian meal, and I was able to eat non-veg here. It was all very good, and they were impressed that I didn't find the food too spicy. Ah, now something that came up earlier in week too. So you eat Naan with your hands and you're supposed to rip it about only using one hand (according to custom) and it makes you hands oily and slightly dirty. At the end of the meal they give you a bowl of water with lemon in it. It almost looks like you are being served soup, but what it is that you rinse you hands in the bowl and rub the lemon on your fingers to get rid of dirt and oil. It works really well. We all talked for awhile and eventually it was time to go. I called Mohan to pick me up again and it was back to the hotel for me so I could finally update the blog and download my photos. Another thing happened that I was able to take a photo. Just one more thing about the contrasts that exist here. Even in the middle of busy streets where you would never expect to see it, random cows and bulls roam the streets all on there own. They are just strays. I got a photo of some of them.

2 comments:

  1. Eric -- Reading your adventures here reminds me of my first trip to the Yucatan in Mexico -- especially the shops and shopping experience. Kind of eye-opening to be viewed as a walking wallet. Had any chance to try out your watercolors yet? -- Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad answer no. I forgot them in my haste of packing. I am totally bummed that I don't have them! I'll see if I can pick up a set in downtown.

    ReplyDelete